Best way to start Sheep or Goat Farm:
1) Quality of Sheep or Goat:- Animals which can sustain in particular climatic conditions & having proper breed character needed for goat farming business.Example- According to geographical situations,animals accustoms with environment & give production.From these animals ,selection of good quality animals.
2) Management of Animals – As the production of animal is increases according to high quality animals demand for good quality fodder,concentrate,water,housing and care is needed more .If this is not fulfilled ,then goat owner can have a loss in terms of less meat production as well as economic losses.So it is necessary for goat owner to access his strength for providing this kind of facilities for its animals.So for that if goat owner has good kind of knowledge (By training & practice)and will to do whatever work in his goat farm,then he can be profitable goat farmer.As per my knowledge this is 24 hours business & it can not be as supervisor’s job.
3) Facilities Provided:- Whatever facilities required for dairy like availability of farm land,availability of fodder throughout the year,availability of veterinary doctor,skills for first aid treatment,skills for feed formulation is important for goat farmer.Goat owner must provide minimum kind of facilities which are needed for these animals.
4 Marketing– Before producing meat or other goat product,it is better to search what are market opportunities in your area.See if there is no any goat farm functioning in your area what are the reasons behind it?If there is no any farmer who dare to take this enterprise then it is opportunity to you set up good quality of goat farm.If market is not there ,try to create your own market by creating demand for your product in the market.
5) Value Addition– In business of goat farming,it is better to not to rely on only one enterprise or product example- meat,If you do value addition in kid for weight gin in short time or good male kids for breeding purpose etc.,You will get more money,If you do value addition in goat dung by preparing vermi Compost you will get more money .
So think on this aspect, Do personal visits for survey the area,try to find out market as well as study market chains developed in that particular area.Then make decision for dairy farming .
6) To be updated– For goat owner it is necessary to aware about new practices & changes in goat farming.So for that he must take training before starting the goat or any animals related enterprise & after that timely necessary training to become updated .New practices,trends & changes in management will be helpful to reduce the losses & improve production of animals.He must be adaptive & positive in nature & willing to take responsibilities or change as & when needed.
7) Maintain Records– Some farmers which do not have land but are successfully run their business because they keep records for feed,fodder,Meat/Milk production,Reproduction,health & management aspects.In which they can get ideas as well as point our problematic points or situation to avoid losses.Today,many goat farmers are not keeping records as like businessman,so they do know what is the status of the goat farm that they are running now.
On the above points,you may decide number of animals to be kept for goat farming which can run successfully. Also visit to nearest goat farms which are running their farms very well & then share the ideas with them for running successful goat farm.
For Starting a Sheep Farm Read : Here.
Goat or Sheep – You can contact to following addresses
For Osmanabadi Goats:-
1)Punyashlok ahiladevi sheep & goat development board gokhalenagar pune -16
Ph-(020) 25657112/25663158 Fax – (020)25678814 2)
Maharashtra Sheep and goat development board. Gokhalenagar Pune. They will provide you information and training substations are located at- 1) Ranjani Tal. Kawathe mahakal Sangali 2) Mukhed Tal- Sangola Dist-Solapur 3) Dahiwadi Tal-Man Dist- Satara 4) Ambejogai Dist-Beed 5) Pohra Dist- Amarawati
2)For Boer /Damascus/Osmanabadi goats-
Nimbkar Agriculture Research Institute At – Wadzal Post-Nibhore Dist – Satara (Maharashtra) Pin – 415528 Phone – 02166-262106/205124 Wadzal farm – 221045
3)For Sanen goats-
Rural agricultural institute, Narayangaon. Tal – Junnar District- Pune
4)For Osmanabadi & Boer goats-Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Shardanagar, Baramati.
5)For Osmanabadi goats-
NGO- Janjagran, Dr.Z.Baig, Near Sent Paul English School, Jesuit, Belgaon.
6)For Osmanabadi Goats-
NGO- Anthra, 17,Serinity Complex, Pashan road, Bavdhan, Pune-21 Phone- 020-2953546/47
7) For Jamunapari/Barbary goat-
Central Institute for Research on Goats (CIRG)
P.O. Farah, Makhdoom
Uttar Pradesh PIN 281122