Goat Sheds or Sheep Sheds(Housing) Requirements:
There are certain Requirements for building goat sheds or sheep housing for better reproduction. Sheep and goats are raised in all climatic zones of India. These climatic zones are very diverse with some being dry and others wet. Extreme heat is a major characteristic of some zones while others experience cold temperatures. Each situation has its own requirements for the design and construction of optimum animal housing.The basic requirement of good animal housing is that it should alter or modify the environment forvthe benefit of animals and also protect them from predation and theft. Animal housing should buffer
the animal from climate extremes to reduce stress allowing optimal animal performance in terms of growth, health and reproduction.
The main climatic factors from which protection is needed are high and low ambient temperatures, environmental humidity, solar radiation, wind and rain.Additionally, houses are important in protecting feed and equipment from damage, in saving labor,and in aiding effective management, including breeding. Sheep and goat housing should meet animal requirements and serve a producer’s needs at the lowest possible cost.
Small ruminant housing need to:
• Be strong enough to last a long time;
• Be large enough for the number of animals to be accommodated comfortably.
• Allow freedom of movement for all animals;
• Be well-drained or have well-maintained dry bedding and easy to clean. Sheep and goats do
not tolerate mud well; therefore, yards and shelters should be built only on well-drained
• Receive morning sunshine evenly;
• Be well lighted and ventilated. Air circulation, dust levels, temperature, relative air humidity
and gas concentrations should be at levels that will not harm animals;
• Have suitable isolation pens for sick or injured animals as far away from the main house as