Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:
Introduction of Keezhakaraisal Sheep:- This sheep breed is reared and raised for meat production. You can find these sheep in Ramanadhapuram, Sivagangai and Thirunelveli districts of Tamil Nadu. Commercial sheep farmers can get decent profits with this breed as mutton demand is growing day by day. For better idea of this breed farming, visit nearest sheep farm in Tamil Nadu and surrounding states. Make sure to gain some knowledge on “how to raise sheep” before going for commercial sheep farming. In this article, let us talk about the performance, advantages of Keezhakaraisal Sheep.
Purpose of Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:- This breed of sheep raised for commercial meat production.
Keezhakaraisal Sheep Description and Characteristics:-
- Keezhakaraisal sheep are found in black red coat colours.
- Black coloured bands are found on the sheep skin in the regions of head, stomach and legs.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep tail is smaller and slender.
- Keezhakaraisal adult male sheep are found with stronger coiled horns.
- Majority of the Keezhakaraisal sheep are found with wattle, under the jaw/throat.
- Keezhakaraisal adult male sheep average body weight is about 29 – 30 kg.
- Keezhakaraisal adult female sheep average body weight is about 22 – 24 kg.
Advantages of Raising Keezhakaraisal Sheep:- The following are the advantages of Keezhakaraisal sheep breed.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep is good for high meat production.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep are easily adaptable to local climatic conditions.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep are hardy and disease resistant breeds.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep are suitable for both open grazing and stall-feeding.
- Keezhakaraisal sheep are helpful in reducing unemployment in rural areas.
- Collected sheep manure can be used in growing for fodder or any agriculture crops.
Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Keezhakaraisal sheep farmers who want to go for a small scale or large scale commercial sheep farming business.
- Should prepare a proper sheep farming business plan before implementing Keezhakaraisal sheep farming business. For sheep business plan, click: HERE.
- For breeding purpose, select the Keezhakaraisal Sheep primarily on body size.
- Before starting the Keezhakaraisal Sheep farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming on the web.
- Avoid any poisonous plants/ pasture/feed in the Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
- When you are planning for commercial Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Keezhakaraisal Sheep characteristics and their management.
- Separate sheep kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Keezhakaraisal Sheep herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Keezhakaraisal Sheep when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Sheep shed should be cleaned on daily basis to remove any sheep manure.
- Buy Keezhakaraisal Sheep only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- For safety, make sure to have a fence around the sheep farm/house.
- Make sure the Keezhakaraisal Sheep house has very good ventilation for fresh air and light.
- All Keezhakaraisal Sheep should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Keezhakaraisal Sheep on regular basis.
- Pregnant sheep, newly born Keezhakaraisal kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed along with mother milk for some time.
- Select quality Keezhakaraisal male sheep and good reproductive Keezhakaraisal female sheep for breeding.
- Pregnant Keezhakaraisal Sheep should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Keezhakaraisal Sheep will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination in Keezhakaraisal sheep farming.
- Isolate the sick Keezhakaraisal sheep from the sheep flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Keezhakaraisal Sheep.
- Keezhakaraisal Sheep kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Keezhakaraisal Sheep twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Keezhakaraisal Sheep and their milk. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
Breeding in Keezhakaraisal Sheep:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Keezhakaraisal Sheep, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Keezhakaraisal Sheep.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Keezhakaraisal Sheep.
- Body mass of Keezhakaraisal
- Feed and nutrition supplied during their growth.
Mass Mating in Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the sheep cases, it is 1 male sheep per 10 to 15 female sheep). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:- Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male to 10 to 15 females). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male sheep in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and male Keezhakaraisal Sheep should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where sheep are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any sheep breeding. For artificial insemination in Keezhakaraisal Sheep, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Keezhakaraisal Sheep Housing:- Proper sheep housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall-fed Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Keezhakaraisal Sheep should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the sheep house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Keezhakaraisal Sheep farming.
For sheep shed Information click: HERE.
Keezhakaraisal Sheep Price:- Sheep price depends on many factors like age, health, and breeding capacity. Generally live weight of Keezhakaraisal sheep cost about 200 Rs/kg for females, 250 Rs/kg males. However, if you plan to buy in bulk, you may get for cheaper price and some breeding purpose male sheep cost very high.
Marketing of Keezhakaraisal Sheep:- A proper sheep business plan should ensure the profits in sheep farming. Commercial Keezhakaraisal Sheep farmers should have marketing plan for bulk sheep sale. Sheep farmers can also sell their sheep in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Keezhakaraisal Sheep.
Bottom Line of Keezhakaraisal Sheep Farming:- Keezhakaraisal Sheep is an excellent breed for commercial meat production.