Best Meat Goat Breeds:
The goat breeds which are famous for meat production are known as meat goat breeds. Usually meat goat breeds are mainly raised for their highly meat production purpose. There are many meat producing goat breeds available throughout the world. Name and characteristics of some highly meat productive goat breeds are given below.
Boer Meat Goat:
Among the meat goat breeds available around the world, boer is considered as best breed for meat production. Boer goat originated from the South Africa. Boer doe also produce milk highly but they are raised mainly for their meat.
Adult Boer bucks (male)weigh 110–135 kg , and adult does (female) weigh 90–100 kg.
for more information on Boer meat goat breed visit : Here.
Beetal Meat Goat:
Beetal is a very important meat goat breeds in India and Pakistan. They are like Jamunapari goat. They are very famous for meat and milk production. Basically for meat production. They are mostly available in Panjab state of India and Rawalpindi and Lahore of Pakistan.
- Beetal meat goat are small and long in size.
- Their body color is black or brown with white spots.
- An adult male goat weights about 65 kg and female 45 kg.
- Their nose is curved.
- Long hanging ear.
- Horns are curved to back.
- A doe produce a pair of baby goat per year.
- Does give birth of baby goats for the first time at their age of 20 to 22 months.
- They are very hardy animal.
- They can adapt themselves with adverse environment.
Kashmiri Meat Goat:
Kashmiri goat is another meat goat breeds, originated from Kashmir of India. They are of big sized and become very hardy.
- Kashmiri meat goat can tolerate hot weather.
- Body color generally white, although you can see ash or brown colored goats.
- They have long horns, and their horns are curved to back.
- Ears are small and straight, like funnel.
- Body of Kashmiri goat is covered with silky hair.
- Does give birth of baby goat at the age of 22 month for first time.
- Famous for meat production.
Angora is another meat goat breeds, and they were originated from China. They are also very popular for mohair production.
- Body of angora meat goat is covered with mixed color.
- They have long and bright hair in their body.
- Angora does give birth of one baby goat each time.
- Also suitable for quality mohair production.
Black Bengal Goat:
Black Bengal meat goat breed originated from Bangladesh. This breed is also available in Asam, West Bengal, Meghalaya and some other Asian countries. Their meat is very tasty and has a great demand and price in the market. They are very important livestock animal for the rural Bangladeshi poor people. They produce high quality meat and skin. Black Bengal does give birth of baby goats twice a year, and each time give birth of up to 2 to 6 baby goats. Their disease preventive power is comparatively higher than other meat and dairy goat breeds.
- Black Bengal meat goat are of fully black colored (like their name). But in some areas, white and brown colored goats are also available.
- An adult doe give birth of numerous baby goats per year.
- Body structure of Black Bengal goat is very tight.
- Their legs are short.
- Have small ears, and their ears are straight upwards.
- Have small and curved black horns.
- An adult male goat weights about 25 to 30 kg and female 20 to 25 kg.
- They are poor in milk production.
- Doe give birth of baby goats for the first time at their age of 12 to 14 months.
- They gain sexual maturity very fast.
- They can adapt themselves with any environment easily.
- Diseases preventive capacity is very high.
- Milk of Black Bengal goat is very nutritious and suitable for baby and sick people.
- Black Bengal is one of the best meat goat, and their products have a great demand in the world market. They also produce high quality skin.
These are the common and most popular meat goat breeds around the world. Along with the above breeds, there are many productive goats too. While setting up a goat farm for commercial meat production, you can also chose any of your local goat breeds.